IF YOU FISH THE SUSQUEHANNA FLATS YOU MUST READ THIS!
This year (2017), there is an increased enforcement on the Susquehanna Flats catch and release fishery. The DNR has officers on shore with spotting scopes watching anglers fishing in the river. Many tickets for 250 dollars each were written to anglers for “Failure to immediately release the fish”… In general any fish taken out of the water for a picture was ticketed. So, with that in mind this is what I suggest to anyone fishing the area.
- Do not take the fish out of the water, un-hook at boat side
- If you must take a picture, do it fast and return the fish quickly
- If your device has video, take a short video of the landing and release of the fish, it may save you if you have to go to court
- The fish should not be out of the water for more than a minute
- All hooks on trolling gear must be barbless, and if you are casting plugs they should be barbless also, just to be safe
- Bait fishermen must use circle hooks on any hook with a gap of ½” or more.
- Obey all applicable fishery regulations as printed.